Adventures in Babysitting

I've been watching The Runaways, and it's not as good as The Gifted, but it's still a fun time. It features an English kid pretending to be American, which is always fun. I like to be surprised to find someone is able to pull off an accent. I am personally terrible at them. I think my Russian comes off a little Ukrainian, my French is spectacularly exaggerated, I can't do Spanish at all, and my Indian is just offensive. I feel like I haven't seen James Marsters since we were both 60lbs lighter, and my loss of affection for him parallels my self-loathing. Beyond Marsters, though, the cast of kids is pretty diverse - they are majority female and majority minority. It's been a marvel to witness this sea change, though in my younger days I hardly noticed the discrepancy.

I have washed for the holidays and I found myself drawn to Cheri- a movie I had forgotten I had seen before. I do not regret this rare occasion of rewatching a film that's not "She's All That" or "Romeo + Juliet". I am a sucker for period pieces. I think I'll name my first child Nounoune. Of course, the first time I saw it, I had no idea that Felicity Jones would one day mean as much to me as Michelle Pfeiffer. I would like to have the book, if I were ever to read a book again.

In the fantasy of this future life, I have also determined that I shall sing a song with my new husband. "Helpless"- though I know the narrative of that love story does not end well. I don't imagine, even in my fantasies, that things will end well.

I had an eventful and injurious weekend. I suspect I have had many more weekends like this than I can recall. It began innocently enough with a happy hour among colleagues. Several drinks in, on my way back from refilling my meter, I happened upon a pothole of ill-intent. The crash was wild and flailing, my hands, knee and the pavement were not kindly met. A pair of leggings were lost in the scuffle. With our change of venue conversation took a turn for the uncomfortable and I found myself the only person of color in a discussion about whether people of color can be racist against white people. Though I do think they can, I was hard pressed to admit to more than being able to discriminate against white people because I felt this was a slippery slope into a conversation about Affirmative Action being reverse racism. I would have none of that this night. A couple awful drinks later, of which I luckily was only charged for one, I took my leave of the party because I had once again run out my meter. The next day I drove to Houston in a pouring rain. A curtain. A cascade. It was a fright, as I am ordinarily not a good driver and this lack of aptitude is just exacerbated by poor weather conditions. I was meant to go to the first night of Day for Night, but I thought it better not to because I was tired and don't especially care about NIN. I also had a 5k the next morning. After a night fraught with miserable end-of-period sleep, I woke at 5:30-ish to be on my way with my very good friend to a very bad race. It was cold, it was misty, and it was unusually long. The 3 miles seemed to drag themselves out. I am certain they elongated themselves to seem more important.

Side note: Karlie Kloss is gigantic.

The fall from Friday night salted the run Sunday morning. Eventually the discomfort of my scrape rubbing against my running leggings faded away. This excitement was followed by a nap, which was followed by a 20 minute escapade through the special section of purgatory that is attempting to park in a metropolis during a music festival. After several stops in front of red-hooded parking meters that other people were parking in front of, but I was sure I would not get away with taking advantage of, I found the Theatre District parking lot I had always intended to utilize.

Did you know Seth MacFarlane can sing? He's actually quite good, which makes one wonder why he wastes all of our time with Family Guy.

Out of the parking lot we were off to Day for Night which was actually quite fun. Kimbra was there, so was Solange, we bumped into Justice- well, not quite bumped, but we passed them, rather closely, about a mile out, from the huge screens they were projected on. It was during this encounter that tragedy struck, in the form of a glow-stick in my eye. I've spent the larger part of the week half blind. On the bright-side, I am now almost as bad at putting eye-drops in my right eye as I was three days ago. Tomorrow I drive back to Houston just slightly less blind than when I drove out of it Monday morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flower of Evil

As It Was

Murder on the Dance Floor